- 1 and 1/2 lb. dried great northern white beans (3 and 1/2 - 4 cups)
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 and 1/4 cup tomato based barbecue sauce
- 12 oz. tomato based salsa
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp. salt
Drain beans. Return to same pot. Cover with cold water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes. Add two teaspoons salt and simmer 20 minutes longer. Drain beans reserving 1 and 1/2 cups liquid.
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees. Combine cooked beans, reserved liquid, chopped onion, barbecue sauce, salsa, brown sugar, mustard, molasses and additional salt to taste in same large pot. Cover pot and bake bean mixture one hour. Uncover and bake until bean mixture is very thick, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes longer.
Recipe provided compliments of Victor R. LeVeque.