- 4 cups water
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 can (15 ounces) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced fat feta cheese
- 1 tbsp. packed fresh thyme leaves
In large pot, bring water and rosemary to boil. Boil 1 minute, then remove rosemary with slotted spoon. Add orzo and cook for 10-12 minutes. Drain well. If desired, remove rosemary leaves from stem and mix with pasta.Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil. Sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add bell peppers. Sauté for 3 more minutes. Add spinach and sauté until wilted, 1 minute. Add beans and stir until hot. Stir in orzo and season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with cheese, garnish with thyme and serve. Yields 4 servings.
244 calories, 5g total fat (1g saturated fat), 40g carbohydrates, 12g protein, 7g dietary fiber, 110mg sodium.
Source: AICR newsletter, Spring 2005, Issue 87